Tuesday 3 May 2011

Indivdual Option - Fashion fabrics

... so now im on my final assignment for this year. It has flown by but I have really enjoyed learning about each area of design. For my individual option project I have decided to do Surface design for fashion but instead of basing it on embroidery I am going to do fashion prints, mainly repeated ones.
The trend I have chosen is called jardin de Fluers. Again i have chosen a floral theme! This time I want it to be different and stand out against other floral designs I have created.
The theme I chosen is just a starting point for me I want to take it much further.
To begin with I gathered as much research as possible, because I wanted to make my theme more interesting I decided to focus on tropical hot house florals so for this project a lot of my imagery came from interesting books with photographs of unusual, not everyday florals. I also wanted to include tropical insects. 
Here are my Visual and Fashion Research Boards




  I then started drawing. I wanted to make sure that my drawing sheets were visually exciting so I used a variety of different drawing media.  Below is three of my Drawing sheets.
Once I had completed my drawing sheets I began creating layouts.
I knew from the beginging that I wanted to create both digitally printed designs as well as doing screen prints.
I decided to create a development sketchbook to log my process throughout this assignment. In it I added my digital print development and all my screen printed samples...
I decided to work on my digital prints straightaway so that I could have them digitally printed on time. To the left is a page taken from my sketchbook showing how I developed each design and how they link in with my fashion research.
Below is three pages taken from my sketchbook showing some screen printed samples...

Once I had created my digital designs and made sure they were up to scratch I sent them off to a Digital Print company, the Digital Printer in University was fully booked up. Unfortually they were unable to get my prints back to me by my deadline so I cancelled the ordered and had them printed onto paper to show how they would look at A2 scale.
As well as my digital designs I had several Final Screen printed designs.
Below are a few of my Final Designs for this project...
Digital...

Screen printed...

No comments:

Post a Comment