Friday, 25 November 2011

Final Major Project

Final Major project has come round so fast!
This week I have been busy researching trends and getting myself ready to start on Monday!
For this assignment I am going to be designing for Spring/Summer 2013 so I have been looking on WGSN, Vogue and through various trend magazines to see whats about! Unfortunately the new trend mag at university doesn't come until January 2012 which is far too late, but Ive managed to see a preview of some colour pallets.
From just doing quite a dull coloured Autumn/Winter collection its going to be a complete contract. I am going all out with the bright summer colours and can not wait.

Here is some of the things that I have been influenced by while researching...

colour pallete ss 2013

Various images taken from BLOOM Magazine
A few Fashion Influences..
Chris Benz s/s 2012
Cacharel s/s 2011

Cacharel s/s 2011

Peter Som s/s 2012

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Minor Project: 'Natural Pattern'

So now I'm in my final year of University and have just completed my minor project and getting ready to move onto my Final Major!!
For my Minor Project I did a lot of research to see what trends were about. I knew I wanted to design for Autumn/Winter 2012 but couldn't narrow down to just one trend so I looked at a few and made them my own. I called it 'Natural Pattern'
I named it this because I wanted to look at Natural things such as Insects, Sea Creatures, shells etc. I wanted to focus mainly on the pattern each thing. For my Research I visited Flamingo land Zoo, Sea Life Centre and Blue Reef Aquarium.

Mood Board

Fashion Research Board and Colour Board

Once I was happy with my theme and my concept boards I began drawing.
Here are my drawing sheets that I created for this project...

Once I was happy with my drawing sheets I moved onto my development. I started off by photo copying my drawing sheets, I experimented with different scale. I then began creating various layouts using the photo copies and making them into repeats, multi directional designs and placement designs. Instead of using my imagery as single images I wanted to cut out the shapes and patterns from them to create more patterned designs rather than have a single image repeated.
Below are two of the designs that I chose to take through into print...

Final layouts and Koda Trace

Final layouts and Koda trace
I created a development book to put all my samples in so that I could see what worked and what didn't work. This helped me see how I wanted my final designs to be.
Pages from Development book...

Once I had experimented with colours different fabrics I had a good idea of how my finals samples were going to look.
As well as doing screen prints I wanted to do digital print.
Here is my final collection...

 Here is my product board it shows how I would visualise catwalk models wearing my prints..

Friday, 28 October 2011

Doesn't time fly when you'r having fun...

I seem to have totally abandoned my blog during the summer holidays. I have been extremely busy and seem to have lost track of time!
Despite having a great time off uni and going on holiday and several weekends away I am getting back into the swing of things and intend never to leave it this long between each post again! oops!

Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Indivdual Option - Fashion fabrics

... so now im on my final assignment for this year. It has flown by but I have really enjoyed learning about each area of design. For my individual option project I have decided to do Surface design for fashion but instead of basing it on embroidery I am going to do fashion prints, mainly repeated ones.
The trend I have chosen is called jardin de Fluers. Again i have chosen a floral theme! This time I want it to be different and stand out against other floral designs I have created.
The theme I chosen is just a starting point for me I want to take it much further.
To begin with I gathered as much research as possible, because I wanted to make my theme more interesting I decided to focus on tropical hot house florals so for this project a lot of my imagery came from interesting books with photographs of unusual, not everyday florals. I also wanted to include tropical insects. 
Here are my Visual and Fashion Research Boards

  I then started drawing. I wanted to make sure that my drawing sheets were visually exciting so I used a variety of different drawing media.  Below is three of my Drawing sheets.
Once I had completed my drawing sheets I began creating layouts.
I knew from the beginging that I wanted to create both digitally printed designs as well as doing screen prints.
I decided to create a development sketchbook to log my process throughout this assignment. In it I added my digital print development and all my screen printed samples...
I decided to work on my digital prints straightaway so that I could have them digitally printed on time. To the left is a page taken from my sketchbook showing how I developed each design and how they link in with my fashion research.
Below is three pages taken from my sketchbook showing some screen printed samples...

Once I had created my digital designs and made sure they were up to scratch I sent them off to a Digital Print company, the Digital Printer in University was fully booked up. Unfortually they were unable to get my prints back to me by my deadline so I cancelled the ordered and had them printed onto paper to show how they would look at A2 scale.
As well as my digital designs I had several Final Screen printed designs.
Below are a few of my Final Designs for this project...

Screen printed...